Skip to main content

The last man standing


Every woman dreams of prince charming. He's supposed to be the tall, dark, handsome man who swoops down in a show of breathtaking courage and rescues you from your tragic situation. The villain in my case was my dad. Six foot plus and sterner than most dads I knew in the area. He had screaming fits over the smallest things and his tongue would have done Hitler proud. It had the potential to erode anyone's self esteem in three seconds flat!! I couldn’t get out of the house fast enough and I thought getting married to prince charming would be the best way to escape.




There I was, young and full of naive dreams of a man whisking me away from my father and giving me the life I had always wanted. A life with quiet strolls through the beaches of the Bahamas and of massages and gentle foot rubbing....it’s funny, but now when I think about all that prince charming was going to do for me had we gotten together, I realize, I never once envisioned what I would do for him in return; Which goes to show how self centred even the prince charming dream is despite the seemingly ‘good’ ideals embedded in it!


Most women who are married will tell you without batting an eyelid, that the prince charming dream is just that- a dream. The smell of soiled nappies and screaming infants plus a husband who doesn’t pick up after himself can take its toll on the dream and leave a bitter taste in your mouth; The truth about the matter is that NO MAN can rescue you from whatever predicament you may be facing. He may help you see a way out, may even run with you towards the solution, but giving man the responsibility of saving you totally is an unfair thing to do because the poor guy can’t even save himself!!!


I mean, how do you expect him to hit upon the solution to all you problems when you have hardly unearthed them yourself? Man can’t save anyone...only God can...that's why he is the last prince charming standing. All the other prince charming have been tried and proved to have flaws that will make the dreams of the lady wither away without much ado.


The Bible says that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life (john14:6). In him is all the life that you will ever want as a woman. The disappointment many women feel after marriage stems from the emptiness inside you even when your man is prince charming in the flesh. You were created to have a relationship with the one from whom all prince charmings come from.


Jesus Christ is unflawed and therefore can love you more than you ever imagined. That’s why when all is said and done he will still be the last prince charming standing...

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I look forward to more from you. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. simply beautiful..it's a nice read,refreshing.we men fall into the 'perfect woman' trap,the truth is nobody's perfect.people like to hide behind their flaws..i pray u keep up the good work and continue to bless us..lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I finally called God Daddy

I DON'T...

I was only eight years old when I told my mother I didn’t want to get married. Her reaction is quite hard to forget considering the fact that I still have a scar to remind me. She calmly went outside, plucked a whip from the tree in front of our home and gave me the swiping of my life. (Just kidding) What she really did was burst into tears. Needless to say, I never said that to her again. Fast forward nineteen years and a five year relationship later and my views about marriage are still pretty much the same. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to marry Joe...He is like the sweetest man I have ever known and besides, he’s the only man who even made me reconsider my vows to stay single for life; If I ever do get married, it would be to him. That doesn’t mean that if this five year relationship doesn’t end up in marriage I would go on a frantic man hunt to still the wagging tongues of fellow colleagues or to smoothen out the disapproving glances my relatives throw at me during f...

Pulled back from the edge

I’d been smoking pot and having wild sex for the past ten years without an iota of remorse and it was all fine by me until I ran smack into T-boy. Now, he wasn’t what you would call good looking but he had that appeal that made you want to get close enough to find out what was on his mind all the time. He had that gentleness that made you want to prove that he was nothing but a fraud. He had that patience that made you want to test it until the monster you were so sure was inside him came out raging and looking for blood. He made me want to be good when all I had ever been was bad and that infuriated me. I pushed him away from me with a violence that was nearly as breathtaking as it was brutal. But he kept on coming right back. I had my male friends give him a beating that put him in a hospital. I had my female friends throw themselves over him in a shameless display of wanton lust...I screamed at him in public and slapped him more times than I care to remember...but he didn’t budg...

The waiting room

It went down like hot eba with slippery ogbono soup. Quick, fast, fleeting, barely leaving any taste in the mouth; Just the brief memory that something had slid in and gone down quick as lightening. It should have done the work it was meant to do, but it didn’t. And she didn’t understand it. She didn’t understand how something that was meant to be quick and powerful turned weak and feeble inside her. She willed it to life. Manifested it into being. Held the image of it in her mind’s eye until she felt the eye of her mind turn red from not blinking. She was exhausted. It was supposed to work. They promised her it would. She was only meant to believe they said, and it would happen. She believed. She really did. She felt her sinews and joints coursing with the belief, she really did. But still, she felt deflated too, as if the course of belief stopped shy of inflating her flesh with its presence. She was exhausted. *************************** Someone should have ...